Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebas...@xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 10/4/18 4:39 AM, Regina Obe wrote:
>>> pkgsrc is using autoconf.   I have had far more problems with cmake over
>>> time than with autoconf.
>>>

>> But you do use CMake for some things right?
>>
>> I presume Debian and CentOS packagers already use CMake because they ship
>> pgRouting and pgRouting only supports CMake.
>> Does CGAL support autotools?  I've never tried since I always went for the
>> CMake.
>
> Debian packaging tools also support CMake.

pkgsrc does too.  Basically it is well more than prevalent enough that
packaging systems esentially have to.

> For the geos package autotools is used because that's the official
> buildsystem and on Linux superior to CMake. E.g. libtool does the right
> thing with library versioning.

I have never tried geos cmake, but my broad experience over the years is
that autotools-based systems almost entirely work correctly and
cmake-based systems are more troubled.

> I would prefer if geos kept autotools as the default buildsystem for
> Linux, using CMake for Windows and other systems is fine with me.

Seconded, except I would say default on "systems conforming to POSIX"
rather than just Linux.

>> When I was packaging 3.7.0 I spent 20% of my time cursing because
>> there was this autotools configure thing, CMake make lists, and I
>> think even NMake or some such thing
>> That all needed changing just to get a stupid version number in place.

Do you mean changing one number in one line in configure.ac, and one
line in some cmake file?

>> The problem with that thinking is that it HAS HAD low rate of building
>> system changes
>> This I'm pretty sure will change in 3.8.  Both Dan and Vicky have huge plans
>> for improving GEOS
>> Which means we are going to have to add a ton more tests to the GEOS suite
>> to ensure we don't break things.
>>
>> This will become very time consuming if we have to test against autotools
>> and CMake.

It seems that the downside of two is adding each test file in two
places, and this seems tiny compared to writing and testing a test file.

>> I'm not sure if it's true for other people, or if it's just because I'm
>> working on a Handicapped platform
>> But for me even when autotools WAS working GEOS compiled way faster under
>> CMake than it did under autotools.

Try compiling cmake too.  On some systems I test on it takes hours to
build cmake.

>> If that is true for others, those cycles make a big difference for
>> development.

If you have just changed source files and rebuild, you just run make.
If you are doing a full regression test, then it does more.