I dont know how many times I've said this, in many contexts - content
management as well as spatial - but if we rely on getting people who
care about the content working with technology then there is a
problem.

Glossy UIs are not a bad thing by any means, but only make them
believe for a short time they can do the technology side. There will
always be issues the content folks will never be capable of dealing
with (connection pools and dimensioning databases, security of web
services etc. )

Provisioning of information is simply a problem with many aspects.

Making sure the components can do the job is still more important than
ease of config. Ability to repeat config is more important than ease
of config for a production service. That is why my experience is
always UI lets you familiarise yourself with the tool, but all real
configuration management is done by version controlling the underlying
artefacts.

Why should we compete with MapGuide anyway? It does a very specific
job quite neatly, and still wasnt a compelling enough business to
retain as a commercial product. maybe that the "suck and see data" job
is not the driver.

Remember, many people spend lots of money on Oracle databases, because
reliable data provisioning and management is still the real game. The
cost of software is generally small compared to the business issues.
They employ database experts to drive them. Oracle's UI (plethora of
them!) is probably similar to Geoservers in terms of coverage of
functionality, ease of use and stablity between versions (!)

Geoserver has a potential role as the data provisioning component of
the next generation of data-rich Web infrastructure. Until then, its
arguably a technology for experiments - and the UI need is obviously
real, but perhaps needs to be seen in that context.

Rob A