Christian Müller ha scritto:
> Andrea, I am not sure what you are meaning
> "same data source can provide different geometries properties"
> 1a)
> I assume you mean that within one feature type we can have more than one
> geometry property.

Indeed.

> Since a feature has a default geometry, this is the one we should use.

Wrong:
- if it's WMS, each Symbolizer has a Geometry element that can be used
   to choose which geometry will be used for rendering
- if it's WFS, all geometries will be dumped into GML unless otherwise
   specified

The "default geometry" is a WMS only concept, it's the geometry being
used if the Symbolizer element does not contain a Geometry sub-element
specifying explicitly the geometry property to be used.

> If I have a feature with more
> geometry properties with different CRSs, it is my responsibility to
> generalize all geometries in a proper way in advance. If you have no
> distance for the default geometry --> no hint

If you have different CRS
the generalization distance, expressed in the native data CRS (as
you said, you don't want to deal with transformations), is different
for every CRS due to the different linear deformation each projection
has. The query is one, the generalization is one for each
SRS queried. I know this case is not common nor practical, but
I cannot behave as if it did not exist, one behaviour for such
case has to be specified.

> 1b)
> If you mean you have to render layers with different CRSs, I see no
> problem. The generalization difference is individual for each feature
> source.

No, one source may have different geometry columns. Basically
only shapefiles are l geometry property only, spatial databases
and GML files may have many (I believe one of the OGC conformance
tests mandates one feature type that has 5 separate geometry columns,
one of which has generic geometries, each of them in different CRS).

> 2) Having different CRSs within the geometries of one geometry property,
> forget it. No hint. I dont want to make a master thesis about CRS
> calculations.

> Btw, which names should I use
> package:          org.geotools.data.gen
> FeatureSource         org.geotools.data.GenFeatureSource

Package is ok, we try not to use abbreviated names thought.
MultiResolutionFeatureSource, GeneralizingFeatureSource could
be acceptable names, thought I agree they are long.
Anyways, if you say you have native support, wont' that be
part of the DB2 package or something?
Also remember to have anything work in GeoServer you have to
start with a DataStore, it's the only pluggable thing.
Or else, explain how you want to proceed and let's see if
you need more extension points out of GeoServer.

Sorry to pester, but if you want to put this into GeoServer
it has to try and play well with the existing use cases.
Probably the quickest approach is to pass down the resolution
hint only if there is only one geometry column in use and
only one CRS. In this case, and assuming the linear deformation
does not vary wildly, it makes sense to talk about a single
generalization distance expressed in the datastore native CRS.

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime