1)
Andrea, after the last messages I would propose:
Pass the resolution hint if you are sure that nothing bad can happen.
However you do it, I rely on getting the hint with feature types having one
geometry property with the same CRS.

2) I did a quick implementation of GeneralizingFeatureSource which has a
constructor

public GeneralizingFeatureSource(FeatureSource<SimpleFeatureType,
SimpleFeature> baseFeatureSource,
                        Map<Double,FeatureSource<SimpleFeatureType,
SimpleFeature>> genMap)

Ok, if I have all feature sources and distances, life is easy.

Some points where I need some help:

a)
I think a better solution would be having the feature type names as
arguments for the constructor and addionally a datastore. This would avoid
creating unused FeatureSource objects.

b) I need some plugin mechanismn for a "GeneralizationFinder". We could
resolve this like the JDBC data store by specifing the classname of the JDBC
Driver class. A default implementation could read from an xml config file, I
need another implementation querying the database.

c) The new GeneralizingFeatureSource objects needs a name. And I have to add
them to existing data stores. Here I have absolute no idea at the moment.