> In short, imho, the process as-is can be carried on only by a core
> developer, for the simple reason that running cite tests can
> uncover issues, and those in turn can be fixed only by
> someone that knows GS/GT well.

+a lot.

As someone who wore the Release Manager hat a few times, this was essentially
my experience.  The CITE tests as part of the release process was the most
inefficient part, since I could do nothing about any test failures, so I had to
play whisper-down-the-lane with the core devs.  This back and forth could
stretch out interminably.

Automating CITE tests would make it much easier to push the rock over the hill.
 I might even want to volunteer to release again!

Thanks,
Mike Pumphrey
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org