Just to follow up andrea's ideas.

In udig we make a custom label cache and throw it at several streaming
renderers (so they can render in different threads) - so the idea of a custom
label cache works very well.

We also do a trick of increasing the page resolution; and then also using a
visitor to edit the styles (so lines and fonts are bigger); and then rescale
that output down to the final page size. This results in a larger; but higher
quality pdf.

Jody