Hi Andrea, first at all, sorry for causing this trouble.
We should ask Justin before proceeding, on how to manage compiled version of dlls/libraries.

As you know we are working on an integration with spatialite. We have worked on compiling sqlite and spatialite to work on all platforms, and main job on that task is not related to output format itself (that is simply java and couple of files). Our main concern up to now was to detect how to get libraries working correctly. Example: windows 64 bits was not working and we found way to compile files to make them working, but..here is the question: how to do when you should work with binaries that depends on third-party libraries ? (what do you prefer ? the binary files or the sources of that libraries that allow to get binaries ?, in that case, we should upload code, but...where ? do you have some folder exclusively assigned for that third-party libraries ?)

We are agree that it's not the best upload that binaries to a source repository. Our mistake was not to ask before proceeding, and believe me that it's my fault not to check with your team.

Now, how do you prefer to manage that ?
Your idea of getting jars for each OS is ok, but it will be still 50 MB of "data", so we should move that jars to a repository folder . How can we get access to those repositories ? must we ask for permissions ?.

Also, reviewing developer commit notes, i should ask you. How do you believe it should be convinient to manage files on testing ? (we are working on unit-testing on spatialite output-format, so where you should place files for that ?. As you know, we should upload "generated output artifacts" in order to do comparations when running testings....test folder sounds "good", but files are not going to be 1 or 2, probably will me a couple and i dont know how much space it would involve).

Again....I'm very sorry, and believe us that it is not going to happen twice. Just let us know where to place repository files and then we will place all jarfiles inside. Also please comment us where to place testing artifacts.

Regards

Jose

Andrea Aime escribió:
Hi,
tonight a large batch of native libraries was committed to the community/spatialite section:

/devel/git-gs/src/community/spatialite/lib$ du -csh *
50M native
50M total

This is unprecedented, I think we got mad at people for less than 1MB binary commits
in svn in the past.

Now, I understand Jose is new to GeoServer development so I'm going to give him some slack, but those libraries have to go, and please avoid any large file commit to svn in
the future.
All types of libraries, pure java or should be handled by maven artifacts,
which are going to be downloaded only by who works on the module.

I think SWT can be an example, afaik the jar distributed on the maven repos contain the native libraries for all the target OS (which in this case are small enough to stick
all of them in a single jar).

In this case 50MB of library are too much for a single jar, I guess they could be split
by OS with profiles activating based on the current operating system?

Btw, I think Jose will need rights to upload these jars either to the osgeo or opengeo repositories.

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.