Ciao Ben, my 2 cents,
IMHO standards are beatiful as long as they are useful (i.e they make like
simple or even just simpler). If by supporting a standard strictly we
become unnecessarily slow, then we are less useful to users therefore the
standard is failing.

This does not mean that we should ignore rules mandated by the standards.My
usual suggestion in this kind of cases is to put a flag somewhere in the
config to switch between strict/non strict adeherence and go for the non
strict by default.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
Ing. Simone Giannecchini