Hi,
I was doing the usual "manual testing script" at
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/developer/release-testing-checklist/index.html
and found a number of issues, some of which are serious:

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5283
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5284
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5285
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5286
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5287

Now, I don't understand how we got to RC3 with some of the above in the
wild,
all I can think of is that the manual release testing script has never been
used
in the previous RCs.

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5283 makes GeoServer installed via the
bin package (and by extension probably the win/osx installers) go OOM after
just a handful of WCS demo requests.
The OOM is due to permgen exhaustion, WCS makes GS load quite a bit
of EMF classes and so on, it's something that one would not see by just
running
WMS requests

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5284 seems to be locking the WFS
schemas
class pretty good trying to access some network resource, when that happens
any attempt to save the configuration in GeoServer fails because that
results in
the WFS schemas being reset, but they are locked so that won't happen and
the installation is toast.
Fixing the demo request is easy, but the underlying issue is grave, we
should have
some timeout mechanism in the schema fetching subsystem when some incoming
request links to schema urls that fails to respond (and keeps you hanging
instead
or returning a HTTP error code).
I think we've been over this before, but I guess this time we have a better
perspective
on how dangerous this problem is.
This one is related, I guess we need to register a custom uri handler that
can set
timeouts on the input streams by default too.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-4854
Wondering, can URI handers be sorted somehow? We'd need the WFS one for
DFT, but also a general one that can timeout in some given time.

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5285 is actually a side effect of the
previous
one, once I've restarted GeoServer it started responding, the issue here is
that
this one uses gt-xsd to parse the SLD 1.1 provided, and needs the schema
cache too,
which is locked...

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5286 is trivial but annoying, it's
the very first
preview we have in the list, not a very good first impression.

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5287 is the usual KML issues, in some
new
sauce I guess.

Jody is helping me fix the startup scripts for
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5283,
I can have a look at some of the others too, not sure I can fix GEOS-5284
by myself though

Cheers
Andrea

--