On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Hochmeister Rudolf <
rudolf.hochmeis...@wien.gv.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using Oracle JNDI datastore and having issues with lots of
> user-aborted WFS/WMS Requests.
> It seems like when users often request big datasets and then abort it
> manually (becaus it takes too long) and then request again (many times) our
> geoserver/tomcat instances run into:
> "java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to obtain connection: Cannot get a
> connection, pool error Timeout waiting for idle object".
> We think when the user abortes the request the result-set in geoserver is
> still being processed and won't release the db-connection until finished...

This depends on the request, but yes, it happens, because in Java servlet
container you get to know the client
closed the connection only when you're trying to write out the output, so:
* wms requests producing an image will notice only when the image is
written out, but to get there, you have had to paint it all first
* wfs requests doing a shape-zip output will also have to write the full
shapefile on disk before zipping and sending out, same issue

Suggestions:
* install control flow and limit the requests you're actually handling, so
that you have fewer finishing faster rather than
  many taking a long time each, the others will be queued and won't use a
db connection
* make sure you set proper scale limits in your SLDs so that you're not
painting too much data in your GetMap requests

Hope this helps

Cheers
Andrea

--
*== GeoSolutions will be closed for seasonal holidays from 23/12/2013 to
06/01/2014 ==*

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead