On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Andrea Aime
<andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>wrote:

> GeoServer core currently depends on the wfs module in order to support WMS
> feature portrayal services,
> that is, requests where the indication of the data to be painted is
> provided in the request by giving
> a link to a capabilities document and a feature type.
>
> I see a few ways forward:
> 1) drop feature portrayal support and make wfs a community module
> 2) make fetaure portrayal behavior pluggable, and implement it in a wfs
> extension/community module or another module that would depend on it
> 3) replace the current wfs in core, and have core depend on wfs-ng instead
>
> 1) has backwards compatibility issues for the functionality we lose, and
> whoever is cascading a WFS today would have to add a new extension module
> when upgrading geoserver
>
> 2) is hard to implement
>
> 3) is risky and requires a GSIP, but if we do it only on trunk it's (imho)
> probably the best path forward

Considering that WFS-NG is supposed to replace WFS (due to the quality and
maintainability of the old module), 3) sounds like the correct way to go.

Also, 2) makes little sense in the broader side of things: why should WFS
be good at something that WFS-NG is not good at, and vice versa? Both
modules attempt to solve the same issue and we don't want development
effort to be split between the two.

As WFS and WFS-NG don't share namespace, it would be feasible to start on
this path by adding gt-wfs-ng as a core dependency and then transitioning
the portrayal support to WFS-NG when it's ready. It should even be possible
to use legacy WFS features even after GS transitions to use NG as a default
- there's probably little need to break the old configuration. (at least
until we want to scrap the old WFS module)

If this path is taken, where (=in which module) should the
XStreamPersisterInitializer code required for stored query configuration
live?

 Sampo

--
Sampo Savolainen
R&D Director, Spatineo Oy

This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you
may not use, copy, disseminate, or distribute it; do not open any
promptly by e-mail that you have done so.