On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 9:27 AM Andrea Aime <andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Justin Deoliveira <jdeol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the feedback Andrea. Comments inline.
>
> Now you are getting me a bit worried... maybe it's nothing, but the
> request objects were not designed to be returned back to the users,
> depending on how deep you go dumping them, you might end up revealing
> information that the admin does not want to be seen, such as for example
> the security filters being applied by something like GeoFence, or the
> datastore connection parameters (ok, that would be quite the deep scan in
> the object tree, but in the end all the info is actually linked and
> reachable from a GetMapRequest object for example).
>
> In other words, is it something that one would want to always have and
> would come with sane restriction to avoid leaking information, something
> allowed only to admins, something that it's core vs a plugin?
>
> Good point. What if we made it an explicit “opt-in” enabled only via
> configuration or a system property, etc…
>
> Another option could be to simply redact sensitive information when the
> user isn’t the admin… Or do you think there are too many cases of sensitive
> properties to handle?
>

> Hard to tell.. like, would it be ok to stop at any found catalog related
> information and just return its name instead of its details, which could
> reveal
> security restrictions (e.g., SecuredFeatureTypeInfo) ?

In my immediate case yes, and I would say in general yes. The point of the
call is not to provide a full dump of the request properties, more just to
provide a representation of what the request will do. I think that for
catalog objects, geotools objects… just displaying a name or id is enough
to do that without providing anything deeper, which as you pointed out can
definitely contain sensitive information.

> Fwiw I wasn’t planning on traversing the object deep enough to get down to
> anything like data store connection information. Just
>

> I was thinking you'd have allowed a user requestable expansion level like
> in the importer REST API.
> In general, depending on the protocol involved and the request structure
> (which might change over time) you might need
> to modify how deep you go. I believe at one time we expanded the expansion
> level in the logger to get more useful WPS information
> for example

Yeah, I was thinking the same, allow “depth” to be specified in the request
with a conservative default value.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think at this point I have enough to start
working on the code. I’ll report back when I have something more concrete
working and we can continue discussion with a patch to look at. However if
there are any more concerns I am happy to keep discussing now.

Happy holidays!

-Justin