For example, if an object belongs to a workspace and you modify that workspace, the resolvingproxy will find the new version using the ID and the catalog.

Regards

Niels

On 06-07-18 17:04, Ikeoka, Steve wrote:

I was just thinking about how catalog objects tend to contain references to other catalog objects (e.g., a layer contains a reference to a resource and one or more styles and a resource contains a reference to a namespace and a store).  As long as the Hazelcast catalog events are able to properly propagate changes to catalog objects across the cluster (since each node would have its own instance of the object), then I do think that the Hazelcast cache may be unnecessary.

I don't see why there would be any issues using jdbcconfig without a cluster.

Steve Ikeoka

*From:* Niels Charlier <ni...@scitus.be>
*Sent:* Friday, July 6, 2018 7:21 AM
*To:* Ikeoka, Steve; Geoserver-devel
*Subject:* Re: [Geoserver-devel] hazelcast/jdbcconfig cache: why?

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your response.

Can you give an example of an issue with parent/child objects that could occur in the catalog? I can't really think of any.

Changes to the catalog always apply to a single object, and avoiding references to old versions of catalog objects is a general issue that is avoided by the use of proxies.

Note also that this cache is only used by jdbcconfig. Jdbcconfig however can also run without clustering, in which case it relies solely on the event system to invalidate the cache when changes happen. So if that system doesn't work, that wpould mean jdbcconfig can't work properly without hazelcast, which would be an odd situation and is not really the case.

The use of these resources is all because of this cache, for which I really see no purpose. A cache per node seems like the best idea.

Regards

Niels