Your reading of that code seems fine, however I am not sure exactly where
the proxy base URL is substituted in - I would expect it to act as an
override. If you want to put some logic to ignore the HTTP port 80 or HTTPS
port 443 that should be fine.

Looks proxy base is applied as a URL Mangler (what a great name) here
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/main/src/main/java/org/geoserver/ows/ProxifyingURLMangler.java

Can you put a breakpoint in that code and determine if it is being used
correctly? It may offer you a faster workaround.
--
Jody Garnett