Hi Brad,
my apologies Brad, this one got lost in the mail flow.
That say, good point, and yes that's the expected behavior.
Right now, without this improvement, is like GeoServer layer groups are
always advertised and enabled, so in practice what this improvement
does is adding the possibility to mark a layer as non advertised and to
disable a layer group, which will only affect the layer group as a
whole.
Hope this clarifies.
Kind regards,
Nuno Oliveira