I would also add this:

- create a script using gdal traslate and convert them to geotiff
- merge the single files, in case they are small into larger geotiff files.

Aside, can you tell us something about what you are doing with GeoServer?
Simone.
===
Notice that our office phone number has recently changed!
Please, update your records!
===
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.