Hi Dominik,

A useful thing to do would be to turn on GEOTOOLS_DEVELOPER logging which
will output the raw sql statements being executed against the database. Take
the one that gets output when you make the map request and execute it
directly against the database, or do an explain on it. If it is fast we know
the problem lies elsewhere in geoserver. If not the query should give us a
better idea about why it is slow.

Also what version of geoserver are you using?

-Justin

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org