looks like it's only using ~500MB, and 1G for the OS buffers.

How're you running tomcat/jetty wrt to heap allocation? Be sure to pass
-Xmx as appropriate to the java virtual machine and follow this where
applicable:
<http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/production/index.html>

I would go for the 7G RAM/20 cores instance. But that's gut feeling
since I really doubt geoserver is gonna need _that much_ memory and
think it would appreciate the extra cores.

--
Gabriel Roldan
grol...@opengeo.org