Can someone comment on the performance/usage differences and advantages
between deploying GeoServer from a web archive or installing GeoServer with
the Windows installer?

Why or when would you want to use one or the other. I currently have
GeoServer deployed in Apache Tomcat. Is this necessary or overkill. If I had
a dedicated server for a WMS, which installation would be best?