I have Geoserver installed on Windows Server 2003  on a virtual private
server here:  C:/Program Files (x86)\geoserver-2.02.  I followed the
installation instructions and set the environment variables and Geoserver
started up.  I had no problem viewing demos with the
localhost:8080/geoserver  address.

I used Windows Installer for Geoserver which as I understand it used Jetty.
As far as I can tell, I need to start the Geoserver program and it works in
conjunction with Jetty. I don't think I have to start Jetty (not sure how if
I need to).

The URL I am using and want to be able to have Geoserver “work on” is
www.newenglandgeospatial.com

I used an Open Layers demo and altered it so that shapefiles I loaded into
Geoserver would display, and tried to add a couple different legends and
some extra controls.  I am this as the index page (named index.html) and it
is located in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot

As of now, I can access the URL above but the  shapefile  layers,  map
controls, etc do not appear indicating that Geoserver is not “connected”
although I have it started.

In the ISII manager, the TCP port is 80.

I saw one post with instructions to go into the geoserver folder named etc
and find the jetty.xml and change <SystemProperty name=”Jetty.prt”
default=”8080”>  to  default=”80” to match what is in my ISII  but this did
not work.  I also tried to change it back to “8080” along with changing the
TCP port to 8080. Still no luck.

In the ISII manager, the TCP port is 80.

So I am not sure where to go with this.

Jay