On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Phil Scadden <p.scad...@gns.cri.nz> wrote:

> > Using OL + WFS as Ricardo suggested is another option. It will give
> > you more control,probably nice popup functionality and visual feedback as
> you hover on the selection, but it won't scale up to large selections (e.g.,
> more than a few tens of features) whilst the approach I'm suggesting above
> will be much more static but will scale up to whatever selection size with
> no particular problems.
> >
> Andrea - the SLDSelect control in Openlayers more less implements what
> you suggest.

I see, good to know

> This issue with it is that SLD filters are not honouring
> the SRS of spatial geometry on geoserver (though they are honoured on
> mapserver). If the spatial filter in the sld is in the same SRS as the
> layer in geoserver, this mechanism scale fine.

Yeah, in GeoServer we have to reproject the filters to the native SRS before
they hit the data sources, since none of them is capable of handling
filters in a srs other than the native one.

In WFS we have good support for both parsing the srs and reprojecting the
filter back to the native store srs, but in SLD handling we don't have
anything
like that.
We'd need to check if the (old) SLD 1.0 parser is able to attach the srs
information
to geometries, if so adding filter reprojection would be possible using the
same machinery used for WFS

I'd suggest to add a request for improvement. If anybody feels like
implementing
this I can give directions on what code to touch.

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it