On 04/28/2011 02:59 AM, David Rush wrote:

> Any quick-start recommendations to get me running in the right
> direction(s) would be much appreciated....

Well, there are number of options... but if you're experienced in XML, you may
try
to change the styling that is defined in an SLD file (an XML file) rather than
the
Shapefile.

It could work out as follows:
1) A new file upload/web-service request comes along.
2) Those new data are converted into an SLD style file (at every section's
polygon
is associated a symbol according to the new data).
3) Using the ReST interface, the SLD file is uploaded and replaces the previous
one.
4) Every new request to GeoServer now uses the symbols based on new data.

Regards,

Luca Morandini
http://www.lucamorandini.it