I've downloaded GeoServer 2.0.3 (war file version), expanded it
manually, and copied the expanded files into a geoserver directory under
an existing Tomcat's webapps directory, and everything appears to have
worked perfectly.  Kudos to the GeoServer folks for such an easy deployment.

I've played around with the layers a bit, and done some hand-tweaked
experimentation with an .sld file.  But I don't see the results of my
edits (in an OpenLayers viewer) until I go into GeoServer admin, select
the style, and click "Submit".  Is there a way to get GeoServer to start
using a changed .sld automatically?

David