I use Geoserver (2.0.2 at the moment) with Microsoft SQL Server 2008
(internally only) with datasets having tens of thousands of points, and I
would echo Andrea's sentiments.
When we were using the 32-bit version of MSSQLServer 2008 the database was
unstable when working with tables containing a spatial field.  Going to
64-bit has fixed the stability problems, but the 64-bit version is slower
than the 32-bit version.  Both nightly replication jobs and Geoserver run
about twice as slow as previously.

After trying various ways to speed up Geoserver, I did a very quick install
and test of PostGIS on an under-powered virtual server, and
Geoserver-to-Google-Earth delivery was about 2.5 times faster than using
data from MSSQL 2008 on more powerful hardware.  It would be good to see a
comparison on equal hardware.