Zitat von Andrés Maneiro <amane...@icarto.es>:

> On 15/06/11 19:48, christian.muel...@nvoe.at wrote:
>> No, this is not possible, but it would not really increase performance.
>>

> My assumption was that converting a polygon into a point will be an
> extremme case of simplification / generalization.

But this changes the topology. A point is an invalid polygon. Things
get more complicated.

> I mean, I suppose that simplification is useful because as the polygon
> have less vertex is less computer-intensive. Following that reasoning,
> computing a point should be less intensive than a polygon with a lot os
> vertex.

This is correct. But AFAIK the rendering code used by geoserver tries
hard not to draw
a pixel multiple times.  If the distance between to vertices is
smaller than a pixel, the second vertex is not drawn.

> Could someone confirm this? If I'm wrong, I'd rather not working on
> generating the points and saving so a lot of time.

In your case, I would save my time. Look at the results, if the
performance is slow, you have still
the possibility to add points.

>> Sometimes simplifying a geometry produces an error, you must use the
>> next finer level instead.
>>
>> But if you like, you can add a point geometry column to your postgis
>> table and switch in the SLD.
>>

> Yep, that's very useful, thanks. I've just discovered these days the
> technique explained here:
> http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-tipstricks/mixed-geometries.html#separate-geometry-columns

Yep.

Cheers