Hello Andrew,

unfortunately it is not and was never possible to do such customization(s)
on the embedded cached layers (sigh).
Things are about to change though. As for your specific requirement, I
wonder whether it'd be better to stick to the (geoserver) layer cache
expiration settings or to configure a different one for the associated gwc
layer.

In any case, for the time being your only option is to configure the layer
as you want in a wmsLayer element inside geowebcache.xml. In the short
term, it'll be possible to configure almost every aspect of a cached layer
through the UI.

Cheers,
Gabriel
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Dwyer, Andrew <
andrew.dw...@dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:

> *UNCLASSIFIED*
>
> Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> Can someone please tell me how to set the HTTP cache expiry for auto
> configured layers in GeoWebCache?  Currently, requests to the embedded GWC
> for tiles are returned with no expiry headers.  For manually configured
> layers I would use the “expireClients” XML element to define client expiry,
> but I can’t see a way to do this for auto configured layers.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m using GeoServer version 2.1.3 with embedded GWC.****
>
> ** **
>
> Cheers****
>
> ** **
>
> Andrew Dwyer****
>
> ** **
>
> *IMPORTANT*: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence
> and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If
> you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the
> sender and delete the email.

Gabriel Roldan
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org