On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Gabriel Roldan <grol...@opengeo.org> wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> unfortunately it is not and was never possible to do such customization(s)
> on the embedded cached layers (sigh).
> Things are about to change though. As for your specific requirement, I
> wonder whether it'd be better to stick to the (geoserver) layer cache
> expiration settings or to configure a different one for the associated gwc
> layer.

My 2 cents on this: default to the GeoServer ones at the very least, allow
for a different value to be specified for tiles.
Btw, I believe GWC has a way to use eTag values to avoid resending the
tiles, but it's disabled by default and
makes the client do a request to check the eTag anyways?
eTag are a nice solution for tiles that vary often and for which the tile
lifespan cannot be predicted in advance.

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it