On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Ivan Suftin <isuf...@usgs.gov> wrote:

> Very basic question here, but I can't seem to find any documentation on it:
>
> When creating a store using Oracle JNDI, I have the option for "Estimated
> Extends". I can't seem to find any documentation on this option. Could
> someone explain what exactly this does and when I would want to have this
> on or off?

When the option is on the code will try to compute the extent using select
SDO_TUNE.EXTENT_OF('TABLE', 'GEOM) FROM DUAL,
which peeks the top of the spatial index instad of computing the actual
bounds.
When not enabled SDO_AGGR_MBR will be used instead, which results in a full
table scan instead (and provides an accurate result).

Extent computation is mostly used when configuring the layers (compute
native bbox link), but also by WPS processes like gs:Bounds
and by WFS when the "feature bouding" option is enabled.

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it