Andrea,
Yes, that would have been helpful. I am using the 32 bit version of Windows
2003.

I installed Java and the native JAI prior to deploying the GeoServer WAR. The
location of the JDK bin directory is at the beginning of the PATH environment
variable so it is read first. After I installed Java and set the JAVA_HOME and
%JAVA_HOME%\bin environment variables I rebooted the server so the proper Java
resource was registered with the system. After installing the native JAI I
rebooted again to refresh the system. After deploying the WAR I logged onto
GeoServer to check that native JAI was reading false (as it should) then
stopped the GeoServer service in Tomcat, deleted the three GeoServer JAI jars
and started the service again. Native JAI in Server Status still read false,
same after restarting the Tomcat service and rebooting the server again.

I had this problem a couple months ago and initially thought I had solved it by
placing symlinks to the native JAI. It turns out that did not actually solve
the issue, but since it was a test install I did not need to solve that
particular issue at the time.

- Michael