It appears there is no data directory where GeoServer expects it.  I think
the default one is only populated when you have run mvn install, so  you
could do that, or you could configure the Eclipse run profile to provide a
GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR environment variable or system property.  Several
configurations are provided in the '/data' directory that you should have
from checking out the sources.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/