Sorry about that, Ákos. The documentation has not been updated to
reflect the changes made when we migrated from subversion to git. The
web-app data directory used to be provided by a subversion external that
pointed back inside to the top-level data/minimal(?) directory; this
concept not longer applies under git.

Please edit your launch configuration and add the VM argument:

-DGEOSERVER_DATA_DIR=../../../data/release

This should give you a running GeoServer with the same data directory.

One downside of using your git working directory for data is that "git
status" will show you some changes, and you will not be able to pull
fresh changes from the remote repo. If you need to fix this, you can
easily copy this directory elsewhere and change -DGEOSERVER_DATA_DIR to
match or throw away your changes by removing the changed directory

     rm -rf data/release

and using

     git checkout -- data

to get a fresh copy from your local repository. (You can also do this
with "git reset --hard" and "git clean -dfx" but the latter scares me
[read the manual, it is pretty thorough].) You should then be able to
use "git pull --rebase" to fetch fresh changes.

Kind regards,
Ben.

Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer