Jonathan,

OCI is the Oracle Call Interface is a native C interface to interact with
Oracle databases. Haven't used it.

The other two are the JDBC connection pool implementations, which can reside
on the application level (geoserver), which is the Oracle NG connection pool
or on the container level (Tomcat), which is the JNDI connection pool.

I was going to write there is not much difference as geoserver comes with
commons-dbcp-xx.jar and tomcat with tomcat-dbcp.jar and both are from
Apache, but this is not true as I discovered just now. They have a
completely different class structure. Using NG on my production server and
JNDI on the test server I found very little difference in performance or
stability.

One warning: It is either or. If you use JNDI your Oracle odbc.jar must sit
in the Tomcat_home/lib, if you use NG it would be in the geoserver/lib. The
jar in both lib directories causes confusion and connection errors.

NG is documented:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/database/oracle.html

where it says: The database schema to access tables from. Setting this value
greatly increases the speed... yes, but then you can only publish from this
schema.

JNDI and the necessary modifications in TOMCAT_HOME/conf/context.xml are
here:

http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/tutorials/tomcat-jndi/tomcat-jndi.html#tomcat-jndi

Obviously when refreshing the pools in one case the app restart is enough,
while you need to restart the container in the other case. And the JNDI pool
can be used for other apps as well if they are running in the same
container.

Cheers

Christian

-----

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department of Sustainability and Environment
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        +61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              +61-3-8636 2813