On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Rahkonen Jukka <jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi>wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> About the "Unrecognized geometry type”, in Oracle the default is that you
> can store all kind of geometries (points, lines, multipolygons,
> geometrycollections etc.)  into same sdo_geometry column.  Many other GIS
> systems have constraints for geometry types allowed on a single layer. A
> shapefile can hold polygons and multipolygons but you cannot store points
> into the same shapefile. Sometimes ****
>
> ** **
>
> There is only one way in Oracle to set such constraint and it is to create
> the spatial index with additional parameter like PARAMETERS
> ('layer_gtype=POLYGON');****
>
> ** **
>
> If Geoserver finds such parameter from spatial index metadata it can
> announce in WFS DescribeFeatureType the exact geometry type.  If it does
> not find the info it can only say that column holds some geometries. That
> may make trouble for some WFS clients because they are often made according
> to the shapefile logic.  It is works warning server manager about this
> situation.****
>
> ** **
>
> I do not know why finding unique index fails for you if your table has
> such. Generally speaking primary key is used at least for generating WFS
> fids which must be unique and also stable in the database if updates and
> deletes are to be done. For inserts the system must also know what field
> must get a new and unique value.   If you will continue to WFS-T with
> Oracle you will find it is a little bit tricky because you must create a
> sequence and a trigger on Oracle side and insert a new line into
> geoserver_metadata table which was created for making living a little bit
> easier.

Btw, both issues (geometry type and primary key) have a dedicated metadata
table that can be
used to compensate for lack of metadata in the "raw" database:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/database/oracle.html#using-the-geometry-metadata-table
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/database/primarykey.html

Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more
information.