Hey Craig,

> I reduced the fetch size to 200 but this didn't make any difference.
> Thanks for the suggestion.

What Andrea said. I've a feeling the gzip compression isn't what's causing
this.  I had a look at how GeoServer does its compression a while ago and its
pretty robust.

I wonder if something else could be using a bunch of memory and then when
GeoServer tries to allocate, there's already nothing left?

Could you let us know:
* What datastore your using
* What database version your using
* Approximate number of rows in feature type affected
* POST/GET request your are making
* JVM arguments is tomcat running with
* Is anything else running inside this tomcat

If this doesn't turn up the answer, the next step would be to turn on query
logging in the database and see what's actually getting executed.

Cheers,
Geoff

PS, apologies to the list for my wrongly formatted email yesterday