For those wishing to use Sentry for logging, I got it working :-).
I'm using raven-java: https://github.com/kencochrane/raven-java

1) Copy the default logger 'PRODUCTION_LOGGING.properties' file to
SENTRY_LOGGING.properties
2) Open the file in a text editor
3) Change the line that starts with log4j.rootLogger to:
log4j.rootLogger=WARN, geoserverlogfile, stdout, SentryAppender
4) Add the following to the file, change the sentry, key, host and ID :
log4j.appender.SentryAppender=net.kencochrane.raven.log4j.SentryAppender
log4j.appender.SentryAppender.dsn=http://SENTRY:KEY@HOST/ID

5) Download necessary jars:
Read:
https://github.com/kencochrane/raven-java/tree/master/raven-log4j#manual-dependency-management
And install them to geoserver/WEB-INF/lib
6) I needed to remove my old commons-codec and log4j jars.
7) Restart tomcat
8) Select the new SENTRY_LOGGING.properties in the Global Settings menu.
9) Voila

Roland