Hi Sandra,
that seems strange.

I have some sample data contained into a network disk which I refer as
V:\bigdisk\... when configuring some mosaics and I have no issues.
Could you please provide us some more information?
1) Which geoserver version are you using?
2) How are you configuring the mosaic? (As an instance, I have a
V:\bigdisk\mosaic folder containing several TIFFs... I have created an
imageMosaic store referring to that folder and it worked fine. Or are you
dealing instead with a properties file to define an external location
through the IndexingDirectories parameter?)

Please, let us know.
Cheers,
Daniele

==