Hi Ravyn,

> I am using postgreSql with geoserver.
>
> I do have indexes with all my tables I know I have I think just the normal
> indexes so maybe need to look at the other type too.

Ok, so - as Andrea also states - you will definitely need some spatial indexes.
Look into that further - for instance under "Indexing the data" in
this guide (which is a bit old, but still a good short introduction):
http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=postgis_tut01

Basically if your table is called "myTable" and your geometry field is
called "geom" - you simply do this query (once) on the table:
CREATE INDEX idx_myTable_geom ON myTable USING gist(geom);
...And it should speed up your queries significantly.

Best regards,

Greg