I found the problem and trying to figure out what is the best way to fix it.
I deploy GeoServer on Linux and start/stop Geoserver using to "sudo service
geoserver start/stop/restart" command.  I downloaded GDAL native libraries,
placed it in a folder and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the folder.  I
put the LD_LIBRARY_PATH statement in ~/.bashrc but that did not seem to
work.  To debug the problem, I modified $GEOSERVER_HOME/bin/startup.sh and
put the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in there.  After this, GDAL extension was installed
successfully.  Any suggestion of where to export the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tam