I have a question related to interpolation of raster data in a WMS.  In an
oversampling situation, where I am zoomed in past the native resolution of
my data, what exactly is interpolated?  The rendered image or the source
data?

For instance, I have a single banded geotiff that contains gridded data
values (not RGB colors) to which I apply a ColorMap within an SLD.

When interpolation (bilinear, cubic, etc.) is applied, is the interpolation
applied to the full-color RGB output image after styling is applied or to
the source data from the single banded geotiff before the ColorMap is
applied?

I am thinking it is applied to the full-color RGB after applying the
ColorMap, because the only real outcome I see is more of a blurring, which
I expect if now all 3 RGB bands are being interpolated and then added back
together.  This is because I am now interpolating colors, not data, right?

If the underlying data were being interpolated first, and then the ColorMap
applied, wouldn't I expect more of a smoothing, rather than blurring,
outcome to the interpolation?

It is this smoothing of the single band source data, rather than
interpolation of expanded RGB output after the map is applied, that I am
after when I am oversampling ... or zoomed in past the native resolution of
my gridded data.

Is there a way to accomplish this in GeoServer?

Are there major holes in my assumptions above and/or am I just not thinking
about this clearly?

Thanks again,

Mike Grogan