From: David Winslow [mailto:dwins...@boundlessgeo.com]
Sent: 16 May 2014 14:48
To: Simon Hartley
Cc: Jody Garnett; Andrea Aime; geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] SLD Alternatives

The performance of the CSS translator is highly dependent on not just the size
of the CSS style, but also the nature of the filters involved.  In the time
frame you mention (GeoServer 2.2.5 to 2.3) I made some changes to the algorithm
that traded off performance in some cases for others.  Overall it is an
improvement (in my estimation) but I'm aware there are some classes of input
that suffered.  It would be nice to fall back on the old approach in those
cases but at the time I wasn't able to think of a good heuristic.  The new
approach introduces a preprocessing step before computing the viable
combinations of CSS rules, perhaps we could instrument that somehow and fall
back to the old approach if it is taking too long.
In either case, the CSS translator itself would definitely become a bottleneck
far before the SLD renderer does, even with the giant SLD output from the CSS
translator.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Simon Hartley