On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garn...@gmail.com>wrote:

> A couple notes on the use of Recode (and friends):
>
> - GetLegendGraphics is not "aware" of the use of Recode, and does not
> generate an pretty icon to match

Not so easy. Or else, reasonable only as long as there is just one
recode/interpolate/categorize per rule, say you
start having Recode on two different visual property based on two feature
attributes, how do you start doing a legend for that?
What if there are 3 visual variables controlled like that (fill color,
stroke color, stroke width in a polygon symbolizer)?
You'd have to make a combinatorial... explosion... and list all possible
cases.

> - I always benchmark Rule based or function based styling, as the results
> change (sometimes dramatically) depending on the DataStore.

I normally use Recode and friends to setup quickly the visual aspects, and
leave the filters to do the filtering (which might result in
some duplication indeed)

> Optimising Recode SQL generation, and fixing up GetLegendGraphic would be
> an excellent use of funding/enthusiasm for all of us interested in styling
> performance. While I kind of know what to do for GetLegendGraphic, what
> would be the most efficient PostGIS representation of the ReCode example
> David supplied?

You don't translate it fully, as the attribute transformation can change
its nature, so you cannot have the database apply the
translation, but you could in theory inject in the query the list of values
you're translating, hoping they are selective.
I'm not 100% fond of this approach though, in several cases you're going to
just list all possible values for nothing,
but the sql encoder won't know it: leaving recode run in memory still
leaves you the possiblity to specify filters in the rule
that are actually selective.

Meet us at GEO Business 2014! in London! Visit http://goo.gl/fES3aK
for more information.

@geowolf