Von: simbo...@gmail.com [mailto:simbo...@gmail.com] Im Auftrag von Simone
Giannecchini
Gesendet: Dienstag, 22. Juli 2014 07:54
An: Matthias Müller
Cc: geoserver-users
Betreff: Re: [Geoserver-users] Temporal mosaic on multi-band GeoTiff

Dear Matthias,
a few things.

-1- Could you open up a JIRA task for this feature as it might be interesting
to implement when we have some spare time.

-2- About file handles and iNode.
You are right having too many (small) files can be a problem as well.
But you know when a nswering email on the mailing list you never know the level
of knowledge of the people in fron tof you hence you tend to over-simplify
answers :)

Generally speaking when we create pyramids or mosaics ourselves we tend to
balance between have too many small files by merging them and having geotiff
files that are too big (e.g. 1TB) since the geotiff reader is inefficient
(sigh.... it could be improved though with some
effort) when reading metadata (aka tiff directories) which can become huge for
extremely large files with decent tiling.

In a situation like yours merging is not a solution as you are mosaicking not
only (or not at all) spatially but rther on the time dimension and using bands
as dimensions is not yet supported. As I suggested above, I would open a JIRA
task for this as we might want to add support for it, it would not tremendously
difficult in the end and I see the potential of this approach.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Matthias Müller
<matthias_muel...@tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> Dear Simone,
>
> thanks, this is the definitive answer I was looking for.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>
> p.s.: Performance-wise I was also thinking of free file handles and
> inodes that are quickly eaten up by large numbers of very small files.
>

> Am 18.07.2014 13:19, schrieb Simone Giannecchini:
>> Dear Matthias,
>> I am afraid this is not possible atm although it would probably be
>> not too difficult to achieve.
>>
>> That said, I am not sure this is the best approach performance wise
>> since it makes the tiff directory very long and forces the tiff
>> reader to read a ton of metadata.
>> This is aprtly due a suboptimal code in the tiff read (we read all
>> the metadata at once in memory) but, still I would not recommend this
>> approach upfront.
>> I would rather split the tif and let GeoServer handle them as a
>> single ImageMosaic. You might want to group them in separate
>> directories under a single directory in the end GeoServer will search
>> recursively under the toor directory for files that can be indexed.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Simone Giannecchini
>> ==
>> GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
>> http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
>> ==
>>
>> Ing. Simone Giannecchini
>> @simogeo
>> Founder/Director
>>
>> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
>> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
>> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
>> Italy
>> phone: +39 0584 962313
>> fax:     +39 0584 1660272
>> mob:   +39 333 8128928
>>
>> http://www.geo-solutions.it
>> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Matthias Müller
>> <matthias_muel...@tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> is there a way to let Geoserver handle a multi-band Geotiff as a
>>> temporal mosaic? I have a large collection of GeoTiffs that each
>>> have about 1000+ bands. The temporal reference is related to the
>>> bands in the following way:
>>>
>>> data.tif#band1: 01-2006
>>> data.tif#band2: 02-2006

>>> http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/tutorials/imagemosaic_times