Hi Bob,
did you have install any JP2K external library? (Kakadu, MrSID, ECW?)
Within another email, Simone was suggesting to use the MrSID one which is
free (in case you have no licenses for the other libraries).
This will result into having your dataset handled by a JP2MrSID coverage
store which should take care of parsing georefering info through the
underlying GDAL core functionalities.

Without one of these, if my memory serves me right, there is not support
for embedded georeferencing parsing (such as UUID boxes, GeoJP2 Boxes or
other kind of metadata) so you should also add a world file and a prj file.
Can you raise the logging info to FINE and send back the log? (Also note
that this won't use GDAL at all)

Please, let me know.
Best Regards,
Daniele

http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Senior Software Engineer

fax:      +39 0584 1660272

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.