> I would say take a leaf from ESRI REST services and add
> ReturnGeometry=true/false to getFeatureInfo would be a good extension to
> the WMS format. If you dont really need to execute against multiple
> layers, then consider using WFS getFeature instead where you can specify
> propertynames. ( My maps have the concept of "active layer" for use in
> all searching, hover controls etc.)
Actually, I see that propertynames (exclude the shape from list) is a
geoserver vendor option for single layer getFeatureInfo. If using OL,
you would need to make sure that is in the options parameter for the
control, rather than using the propertyNames parameter of the
getFeatureInfo control (which filters the fields AFTER the call).
returnGeometry=true/false would be a better extension however because it
would with multiple layers.

--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.