Hi,

I posted this on gis.stackexchange too but it vanished from the main page
with no reply rather quickly and I think perhaps a geoserver audience is the
better place for it, but if I'm causing grievance then do tell.

*Issue*: When two polygon layers are shown in a webmap and a getfeatureinfo
is sent for a spot where both layers have a feature, a freemarker.runtime
template processing error often occurs for either layer's content ftl,
resulting in only one layer's info being shown in the info popup.

*Setup:* PostGIS -> Geoserver 2.5.4, WMS 1.1.1 (Jetty9, Windows Server 2008
r2, 64bit jdk 8 so no native jai, have noticed no significant slowdown with
marlin helping)

The problem areas of the two content.ftls are in their beginning:
/<#list features as feature>

                LocalID: ${feature.LocalID.value}/
...and:
/
<#list features as feature>
Link to designation
<\documents\pdf\designations\${feature.designation.value?replace(>
/

When a point in the web map is clicked a
http://server/geoserver/workspace/wms?SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=layer&QUERY_LAYERS=layer&STYLES=&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetFeatureInfo&BBOX=bbox&FEATURE_COUNT=10&HEIGHT=620&WIDTH=1346&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&INFO_FORMAT=text%2Fhtml&SRS=EPSG%3A3006&X=600&Y=403

request is sent for each visible layer with a feature on the spot.

When the issue manifests the log says:
/ERROR [freemarker.runtime] - Template processing error: "Expression
feature.designation is undefined on line 13, column 67 in content.ftl/

..and it is only undefined sometimes and only when trying to fetch info for
both layers and not in QGIS 2.8.1 even if HTML output is chosen and the
templating engine obviously engages there too.

Does anyone have an idea what might need fixing? Am currently thinking
webmap client, geoserver version, or that it somehow is a network timings
issue. Any suggestions are welcome : )