Hi Andrea, many thanks for your reply.

Mysticism abounds , in that I have tried various versions above 2.5.4,
certainly 2.5.5 and an early 2.7 and I think (shall verify) 2.8 on an ubuntu
server.

Right now though I replaced 2.5.5 with 2.8.2 and then republished the
original two problematic layers, using the production db and a copy of the
production ftls- and the gfi popup showed both links 5/5 times. Replaced
2.8.2 with 2.5.5 again, kept the published layers, gfi popup behaved as
prior - i.e showed both links 1/5 times. More tests will be needed but you
may have just saved us with 2.8.2; I'll report back when a definitive answe
has been had.

Regards,
David