On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Paul Wittle <p.wit...@dorsetcc.gov.uk>
wrote:

> The issue we have noticed is that that layer takes an age to draw tiles
> when they are not in the cache and we wondered how to speed it up. There is
> no issue from the Oracle point of view, we can query it and it returns
> reasonably quickly but the GeoServer is a different. The style is just a
> couple of coloured triangles based on property type so it is not complex.

I know that GeoServer can render the entire road network of Texas (a couple
of million roads) in like 40 seconds on a 5 years old computer, if the data
source manages to provide the data fast enough... and the rendering engine
is the same regardless of the data source.
Do your tiles contain millions, or hundred of thousands, points?
As an alternative, are you trying to render many very complex tiles in
parallel, and are running on Windows with the Oracle JDK? That has a known
scalability problem, which can only be addressed by replacing some parts of
the JDK, or running multiple instances of GeoServer in parallel:
http://www.geo-solutions.it/blog/developerss-corner-achieving-extreme-geoserver-scalability-with-the-new-marlin-vector-rasterizer/
If that's not the case, the issue is still likely to be searched in the
data source.

Unfortunately when the data source is Oracle things start getting south
quickly.... For example, you say the query you run is fast, but you may not
actually
be replicating the query made by GeoServer, whcih is using prepared
statements, while I assume when you run it by hand, you are proving
a full sql statement without params (without "?" in the place of the bbox
geometry to be clear).
The access plan that Oracle makes in those cases can be comically wrong...
wondering, are your index statistics up to date?

The Oracle documentation states that to get good performance one has to use
prepared statements, but I cannot say I ever managed
to get fast and Oracle in the same sentence (e.g.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/vasiliev-oracle-jdbc-090470.html
)... thinking
out loud, maybe we should try to have an option for prepared and non
prepared statements in Oracle too, at least with the non prepared approach
one could actually run the very same query GeoServer builds.
That would be a significant effort though, Oracle XE cannot even read WKT
and one has to use its own silly native syntax, for which we
don't have a complete generator...  not to mention proper date handling,
which would also be rather annoying to setup.
It's something that would definitely need resourcing (and might, or might
not, solve the issue, although if you say the manual query
is fast, then it might at least in your case):

@geowolf
Technical Lead

fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.