Using GeoServer2.8 I'm having a very basic problem with WFS-T inserting a
feature that has date fields.  When I do a GetFeature to retrieve the date I
inserted, I get a value that's one-day prior to the date I inserted.  This
appears to be related to the GeoTools xsDateTimeFormat class used to read the
incoming XML on my insert-request and the code's assumption that the incoming
date is in the GMT timezone.  Do clients of WFS have to convert all their dates
to GMT before inserting them??

Here is an example transaction that I use for insert...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Transaction
  xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/wfs";
  xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml";
  xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc";
  version="1.0.0"
  service="WFS">
  <Insert>
    <LAYER1 fid="none">
      <INSTALLED_DATE>2016-01-04</INSTALLED_DATE>
    </LAYER1>
  </Insert>
</Transaction>

Then I read it back with...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GetFeature
  xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/wfs";
  xmlns:fdot="http://byers.com/nxwx/solution/fdot";
  xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml";
  xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc";
  version="1.0.0"
  service="WFS"
  outputFormat="JSON">
  <Query typeName="LAYER1">
    <ogc:Filter>
      <ogc:FeatureId fid="LAYER1.7649040"/>
    </ogc:Filter>
  </Query>
</GetFeature>

In the JSON output I find...
"INSTALLED_DATE":"2016-01-03Z"

So I stored 1/4/2016, I read back 1/3/2016.

My back-end datastore is Oracle. When I select directly from the database I
find the wrong value there too.
SELECT TO_CHAR(installed_date, 'dd-mon-yyyy hh24:mi:ss')...

This gives me... 03-jan-2016 19:00:00.

How do I set things up so a WFS client that stores 1/4/2016 gets 1/4/2016 back?