The resources api was specificly created to upload and manage images and
icons (and the occasional config file). You have the correct documentation
link; I was able to produce a couple of GET examples for the geoserver 2.9
release announcement
<http://blog.geoserver.org/2016/05/30/geoserver-2-9-0-released/>.

--
Jody Garnett