Since the time the blog post example was written Alex "fixed" how the
styles folder was published to provide a good URL to use for external
applications that wish to access an external graphic.

The above example is in the "global" styles directory, grass_fill.png is
also be available via:

- http://localhost:8080/geoserver/styles/grass_fill.png

If we had an "icon" foo.png in a "test" workspace we would end up with:

- REST API:
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/resource/workspaces/test/syles/foo.png
- Styles: http://localhost:8080/geoserver/styles/test/foo.png

The styles publish reflects how SLDs access external graphics, for example:

- http://localhost:8080/geoserver/styles/test/grass_fill.png

Since this icon is not found in workspace styles folder, it will grab the
png from global styles folder. This allows any SLD defined in your
workspace to smoothly refer to external graphics in the global styles
folder. If in the future you upload a grass_fill.png to the workspace
styles folder it would "override" the global one.

--
Jody Garnett